Sunday, September 04, 2011

Walking in the rain

The clouds were so low over London today like a dark curtain, the only light a narrow strip along the horizon. The rain started light then gradually increased until the clouds were pouring with it. I stood out like a sore thumb wearing a bright raincoat and sensible mountain shoes (lucky I didn't wear my wellington boots). Except tourists, no one in London seems to take any notice of the rain. This is because it's only going to be a matter of seconds until they're inside a building, on a bus or the tube, and because raincoats and umbrellas are cumbersome and uncool. And whilst a few may at least don a jacket or light protection of some sort, we can presume it's the Aussies, Kiwis and South Africans still walking around in T-shirts, shorts and flip flops as it pours down. So it seems strange and unfair to me that I always feel and look wetter than anyone else. Maybe it's just a state of mind.

No comments :